The Strain Gauge on
a VPI HRX turntable
* * * * *
The Soundsmith is proud to be a VPI turntable dealer, and will be glad to perform a custom set-up with any VPI turntable of your choice. We offer the Strain Gauge cartridge system, as well as a variety of ultra-low moving mass "moving iron" cartridges, including "The Voice", our recently developed and acclaimed
"MM input" compatible cartridge.
The Strain Gauge
The Strain Gauge cartridge is not at all like any other cartridge.
All other cartridges, whether moving magnet, moving coil, or moving iron, are "generators" - that is, you put motion in, and you get energy out...
a tiny voltage that you amplify and send to your speakers.
The key here in describing all other cartridges is in the word moving.
All other cartridges need to move a mass around - a magnet, and iron core with wires (moving "coil") or moving iron.
They are all magnetic generating systems, which require a mass to be constantly moved to generate a voltage.
« click here for more on technical details »
- Frequency response, DC to 50 Khz
- No "RIAA" filter circuitry is required or used in our preamp - just one super clean gain stage
- Compatible with standard "4 wire" tone arm wiring
- User Replaceable Nude "Contact-Line" stylus w/Ruby Cantilever (varied stylus types avail)
- System Price includes Strain Gauge Cartridge and Soundsmith SG Preamp
- "Fixed" Line level & +10dB variable outputs, both Balanced and Unbalanced (via RCA jacks)
- High Compliance design assures excellent tracking ability with any tone arm
- All models now feature toggling between the Strain Gauge function and single or (multiple) line inputs for maximum hookup flexibility to your equipment
« click here for full performance specifications »
“Now, with one giant leap, your strain gauge cartridge has leapfrogged the finest moving coil cartridges..... I was completely stunned....” (Ijaz Khan, M.D.)
« click here for more testimonials »