Strain Gauge Cartridge
IT'S OFFICIAL - WE WON ANALOG PRODUCT OF THE YEAR!!
From the review by the director of the Italian Magazine Fedeltà del Suono ~ the most popular Italian magazine for hi-end 2 channel
"Discover what may be the Phono Cartridge of the III Millennium.."
"True technical innovation in a stagnant sector..."
"The systems' linearity...may be considered virtually perfect....virtually free of distortion"
"We can’t refrain from crying for joy, and shout for this miracle."
..Unconditional applause to the creator and designer of such a “good monster”
click here to download PDF of article (Italian & English translation)
The Strain Gauge on
a VPI HRX turntable
* * * * *
The Soundsmith is proud to be a VPI turntable dealer, and will be glad to perform a custom set-up with any VPI turntable of your choice. We offer the Strain Gauge cartridge system, as well as a variety of ultra-low moving mass "moving iron" cartridges, including "The Voice", our recently developed and acclaimed
"MM input" compatible cartridge.
The Strain Gauge - Full Featured Models
Click this to see our NEW ENTRY LEVEL systems; SG-200, SG-210, and NEW SG-230
“Now, with one giant leap, your strain gauge cartridge has leapfrogged the finest moving coil cartridges..... I was completely stunned....” (Ijaz Khan, M.D. ~ Mid-Atlantic Audiophile Group)
« click here for more testimonials »
CLICK THIS to read our NEW REVIEW in "The Absolute Sound" ~ by Tony Cordesmann - March - 2010 -
CLICK THIS to read our NEW REVIEW in "HI-FI News"
The Strain Gauge cartridge is not at all like any other cartridge. The Soundsmith is proud to announce our new MKIV dfesign for all Strain Gauge Models.
All other cartridges, whether moving magnet, moving coil, or moving iron, are "generators" - that is, you put motion in, and you get energy out... a tiny voltage that you amplify and send to your speakers.
The key here in describing all other cartridges is in the word moving.
All other cartridges need to move a mass around - a mass that is attached to the stylus and cantilever.....either a magnet, an iron core with wires (moving "coil") or a piece of iron.
They are all magnetic generating systems, which require a mass to be constantly moved to generate a voltage. In the Strain Gauge, this mass has been all but eliminated, allowing the stylus to move much more quickly, therefore staying in intimate contact with the groove walls......
« click here for more »
- Frequency response, DC to 70 Khz (rumble filter at 12 Hz.)
- No "RIAA" filter multi-stage preamp circuitry is required or used in our preamp - We have just one ULTRA clean gain stage between you and your music (RIAA compensation IS required for "velocity" sensitive magnetic cartridges - The Strain Gauge is a "displacement" device......which automatically compensates for the RIAA EQ, thus allowing for an elegant, ultra clean preamp design - the "Less is More" audio philosophy...)
- Compatible with standard "4 wire" tone arm wiring - no special wiring required
- User Replaceable stylus assembly - automatically aligns when inserted (varied styli types available) - a feature unheard of in high end cartridges
- System Price includes Strain Gauge Cartridge and Soundsmith SG Preamp model of your choice
- All models feature "Fixed" Line level outputs AND +10dB variable outputs (controlled by front panel volume control); all outputs are Balanced and Unbalanced via RCA jacks for maximum hookup options -
- High Compliance design and freedom from low frequency saturation assures excellent tracking ability and compatibility with any tone arm
- All models feature touch-switch toggling between the Strain Gauge function and single or (multiple) line inputs for maximum hookup flexibility to your equipment
« click here for more »